A delightful woodland walk now takes you over the A3 with a good view of the Hindhead tunnel
Miss James walk runs through Tyndall’s Woods along the side of Nutcombe Vale to Hindhead.
The newly opened Miss James’ Bridge grants safe access to pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders along a newly designated bridleway forming part of Miss James’ Walk.
There is a good view of the the south portals of the A3 Hindhead Tunnel from the bridge.
The bridge also has a grassy surface and planting to encourage local wildlife to safely across the A3.
A new ‘pegasus’ crossing over the A287 now links Tyndall’s Wood with Hindhead Commons.
Born in 1831, as a young woman Miss James had been a musician of limited means who became a lady’s companion to the Hampstead based Miss Coates, sole survivor of an East London family of wine merchants. Miss Coates left her entire estate to Miss James in 1888.
Now in her mid-fifties, she moved to Hindhead, acquired a large land holding south of Grayshott, and built Westdown, the black and white house now visible from the A3 Hazel Grove junction, where she lived.
She put her inheritance to excellent use.
As a keen supporter of the fledgling National Trust she generously gave land at both Nutcombe and Bramshott Chase in 1908.
At the same time she was instrumental in securing a second major land acquisition for the trust, Ludshott Common, also making a generous personal donation.
A benefactor of many local causes, Miss James raised and contributed substantially to funds for the building of St Luke’s Church, Grayshott and gave Whitmore Vale Cottages to the village.
Retaining her musical interest, she also organised annual Chamber Music recitals and built The Hostel (now Shannon Court) as a retreat for theatrical and musical professionals.
Miss James died on November 15th, 1910 and lies buried in the churchyard of St Luke’s Church.